Natural Homemade Brass Cleaner Recipes
Looking for a natural homemade brass cleaner? There is really no need to spend money on brass cleaner when you have all the necessary items in your kitchen already to keep your brass shiny and new.
Please read up on how to clean brass before giving these homemade cleaners a try.
Once you have a lacquer free brass item, there are a number of homemade cleaners that can help you remove tarnish. All of these natural cleaner suggestions are acidic - it is the acid that will remove the tarnish. They may also contain a mild abrasive to help with the scrubbing.
Homemade Brass Cleaners
1. Ketchup. Perhaps the least effective of the lot, but isn't there something fun about using ketchup to clean things? Just dip a cleaning cloth in some ketchup and polish your brass with this. Or for more stubborn cases you can coat the object in the ketchup and leave it to react a bit. Be sure to rinse and dry your object most carefully after this method and the others listed here.
2. Vinegar, salt, and flour. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a cup of distilled white vinegar. Add enough flour to make a paste that will adhere to your object. Cover the object in this and leave on for an hour or so. Rinse, wash and dry thoroughly.
3. Vinegar and baking soda. Make a paste of vinegar and baking soda, and using a soft clean towel, polish the brass with this. This may be more effective in resistant cases. Once again be sure to rinse, wash and dry your item after cleaning.
4. Lemon and baking soda. Sprinkle a lemon quarter with baking soda and use this to polish the brass surface.
5. Salt. You can use salt as a substitute for part or all of the homemade brass cleaner 3 and 4. Do exercise caution with this, as it will be much more abrasive then the baking soda and may scratch surfaces.
Wow! Have you noticed how often you can use simple distilled vinegar in your cleaning efforts? It is truly a wonderous product and so safe for your family and the environment. Learn more about cleaning with vinegar and get started making your home a healthier place to live.